Montag, 16. Dezember 2013

Review: Life's Too Short For Us - Everything's Fine (EP)

First of all: Considering this as the first blog post in months, I guess I would have to say sorry to all the regular readers who keep coming back to the page and continuously keep being disappointed about not seeing any new reviews. So here we go: I'm sorry, and seriously annoyed with my work morals. As some of you might know, the main part of New Rock Reviews is in German and I'm (in contrast to the German counterpart) the only one writing reviews on here which makes it quite hard to stay up-to-date with it. I'll try and improve in keeping the posts more regular from the start of next year onwards. Call it a New Year's pledge.

Anyway, the good news is: This informational post isn't going to stand here as the last post made for the next ten or so weeks. There's actually a review coming up. A review! Incredible! Or as the reviewed band (possibly) would say: ongelooflijk! Excuse my Dutch.


Band: Life's Too Short For Us
Album: Everything's Gone (EP)
Style: Skate Punk
Release: 29th October 2013
Label: none
From: Holland
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LTSFU

LIFE'S TOO SHORT FOR US recently released (well, I say recently and mean October...) their new three-track-EP Everybody's Fine and with that is the first band to enjoy their record getting an English review first on New Rock Reviews! How about that?

Unfortunately, the whole record is only about ten minutes long; but it's quality not quantity that counts, right? In terms of production, I think about one of my favourite ZEBRAHEAD albums ever: Playmate of the Year. In other words: Production? Ongelooflijk good!

But the ZEBRAHEAD influence doesn't just stop in matters of production. It's the songwriting, too. I used to skate (and I mean on a skateboard not with those stupid little rolls – or even worse: blades! – beneath your feet, that might make you look interesting when you're a girl but also make you feel kind of weird as a guy...) a little bit – and I failed big time – when I was way younger and these songs kind of make me want to buy a new skateboard (although, considering my ability to actually use it, this would be kind of a waste on money) as I gave my old one to my little brother. Kind of obvious if you suck in skating, right?

Now, back to the music: “Where We're From” starts with a bass intro and turns into a really good classic skate punk track with a catchy chorus and everything you'd expect. Could it be any better? Well … maybe, if the song wouldn't be three but 45 minutes long! Just kidding, of course.

“Your Approval” has a similar structure, although the chorus isn't quite AS catchy as the one in “Where We're From”. The song is kind of diverse with a few changes in rhythm from time to time. Quite nice and definitely a nice opportunity to start a mosh pit during a live concert.

The same's true for “Not Gonna Play”. What a tune! My favourite part about this powerful, melodic, and ongelooflijk good track is the little “breakdown” (if you want to call it that) towards the end. Fair play, guys. I love it.

Everything's Fine, although being way too short for my tastes, is absolutely recommendable to everyone into BLINK-182 (although I managed not to mention them up to now), ZEBRAHEAD, and all other bands who're active in this kind of music genre. However, a couple more songs would have been nice; and then we could talk about some more points...

6 out of 8 points

Tracklist:
1. Where We're From
2. Your Approval
3. Not Gonna Play

Members:
Vocals, Guitars: Stefan
Guitars: Kevin
Bass: Jasper
Drums, Backings: Sean

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen