Dienstag, 9. April 2013

Review: Stereophonics - Graffiti on the Train


Info
Name: Stereophonics
Album: Graffiti on the Train
Style: Rock
Released: 2013
Label: Ignition Records
From: Wales
Facebook: www.facebook.com/stereophonics
Website: www.stereophonics.com

There's no way that Stereophonics' new album “Graffiti on the Train” could not be present on New Rock Reviews. From all the reviews planned in April, this one is probably the quietest album. Still, I am pretty sure that this little break is worth it; be it because of “Graffiti on the Train”'s quality or because of the forthcoming albums to be reviewed – we'll see. I can only promise one thing – there's enough Welsh bands on this blog for now, so there won't be any other for the next couple of weeks or months.

Let's talk about the album now. “We Share the Same Sun” is a quiet opener and only starts to rock during the chorus. Listening a little more closely, I can hear a few synthesizers and I definitely enjoy the The-Edge-like solo. All in all a pretty good beginning. The title track already shows that this album is going to rock a lot less than other Stereophonics releases. The tranquil structure of the song, a few violins, and Kelly Jones' emotional singing are the predominant ingredients. The lyrical story reminds me of I Like Trains' lyrics and is therefore pretty melancholy; but still something that will make people think.

Indian Summer” is a song with a rock edge and could be compared to “We Share the Same Sun”. Some fans might disagree with the violins but as I like a little progress on every album I definitely wouldn't say anything against it. For me, “Indian Summer” is the first little hit on the record. The following song, “Take Me”, is again a little different from the first three. Its balladic structure and the change between Jones and a not-named female singer are nice; however, the song doesn't really get to the same level as the other songs on the album.

The first song that reminds me of the Stereophonics that I'm used to is “Catacomb” which somehow makes me think about some Oasis or Beady Eye songs respectively – especially towards the end, when the song develops into a nice rock song. This is song-writing a lá Liam Gallagher – and absolutely to my taste. “Roll the Dice” slows things down again. The balladic beginning makes rock reviewers on other websites moan. Again I can hear a lot of violins and even trumpets during the chorus; still, this is one of the best songs on the record.

Violins and Tambourines” is again really balladic at the beginning but then develops into a nice rock song towards the end. You might already have guessed from the name of the song, which instruments you can hear during the title. This one is another one of my favourites. Right after “Violins and Tambourines” there is the greatest surprise on the record. “Been Caught Cheating” is a great blues song and, although the solos aren't as good as Joe Bonamassa's or Henrik Freischlader's solos, it can still convince me to be another one of my favourites. This is a brilliant example of how wide Stereophonics' musical spectrum is and how much Kelly Jones can switch between musical styles. A great change.

What impresses me most about “In a Moment” is the backings during the verse and the bridge which add a very special note to it. I can't help but think about U2, which is absolutely no bad thing and shows how variational Jones' song-writing is. This song, as well, gets a very good grade. The last song is not going to rock either. However, “No-one's Perfect” has a nice singer-songwriter feeling to it and somehow reminds me of “Maybe Tomorrow”. Although it's a very quiet ending for an already very quiet album, I can only give it great marks as well.

Although this is not a typical Stereophonics rock album, “Graffiti on a Train” can't make me write a bad review about it. It's variational and really creative but the band could have written one or two rockier songs to add to it. “Catacomb” being the only “real” rock song on the album is a little to less for me.

Listen to: „Graffiti on the Train“, „Indian Summer“, „Violins and Tambourines“, „Been Caught Cheating“, „In a Moment“

7 out of 10 points

Tracklist:
1. We Share the Same Sun
2. Graffiti on the Train
3. Indian Summer
4. Take Me
5. Catacomb
6. Roll the Dice
7. Violins and Tambourines
8. Been Caught Cheating
9. In a Moment
10. No-one's Perfect

Members
Vocals, Guitars: Kelly Jones
Guitars, Vocals: Adam Zindani
Bass: Richard Jones
Drums: Javier Weyler


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen