Donnerstag, 18. April 2013

Review: When Million Sleep - Earth to Air


Info
Name: When Million Sleep
Album: Earth to Air
Style: Rock
Released: 2013
Label: n.a.
From: Germany
Facebook: www.facebook.com/whenmillionsleep
Website: www.whenmillionsleep.com

Alright, off the British Isles and back home for now. German newcomers When Million Sleep asked us to review their debut album “Earth to Air” and we didn't need to think twice about agreeing to do so. Let's hope that we won't regret it.

Wolves and Bones”, the opener, makes me want to listen to more. Although it kind of reminds me of Funeral For A Friend (with somehow better lyrics), the chorus already stays in my head after the first time of hearing it. A great track. “Human Bomb” is a little rockier but ends a little bit to sudden for my taste. Still, pretty nice.

The first ballad on the album is “Movers and Makers” and as you would expect it, the song is a little more emotional than the first two. Again, the sound reminds me of FFAF (especially in “History”) which is not a negative point as they are one of my favourite bands. Although it brings a little change to the album, “The Sound Of A Thousand Wings in the Sky” is a little too much pop music for me. It's a song that you could always play on the radio; but in my opinion, it doesn't really fit on the album.

Abandon All Ships” is a little more ballad-like again. The song somehow slows the album even more down (although it's a little rockier towards the end) and would possibly fit in at another place on the album. “At Last” is finally a rocker again and – after the first two – one of my favourites on “Earth to Air”. Singer and guitarist Thomas Buck again gives it the FFAF touch that I'm already used to.

Somehow, the bands that I want to write reviews about in this year seem to like the name “Empire” for one of their songs. And somehow, none of these bands disappointed me with these tracks. When Million Sleep's “Empire” is one of my favourites on the album as well and I just can't forget the lead guitar sound during the chorus. Simply good. “The Provider” is an absolutely catchy tune and here especially the intro riff which is repeated here and there throughout the song again. I can even enjoy a little rock breakdown towards the end which is a real highlight for my metalcore roots. This is definitely a favourite!

The guitars in “ Inhale ≤ Exhale” seem to have been influenced by metal bands as well. But again I can hear a lot of FFAF. The last title's name is “Sleeping Awake” and is of the same quality as the first two songs. The song is a little louder than some other songs on the album but the ending in my opinion is again too abrupt (especially as it is the ending of the album).

This is a pretty good debut album, When Million Sleep! The guys should try and sound a little bit more independent from other bands, although it is pretty normal for a debut to sound like the band's main influences. Anyway, with certain improvements the band could stay on my playlist for a little longer with their second album.

Listen to: „Wolves and Bones“, „Human Bomb“, „At Last“, „Empire“, „The Provider“

6,5 out of 10 points

Tracklist:
1. Wolves and Bones
2. Human Bomb
3. Movers and Makers
4. The Sound of a Thousand Wings in the Sky
5. Abandon All Ships
6. At Last
7. Empire
8. The Provider
9. Inhale ≤ Exhale
10. Sleeping Awake

Members:
Vocals, guitar: Thomas Buck
Guitar, vocals: Alex Walde
Bass, vocals: Jörg Junker
Drums: Stefan Peil


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen