Mittwoch, 15. Mai 2013

Review: Cold Acid - Cold Kids Don't Need Acid



Info
Name: Cold Acid
Album: Cold Kids Don't Need Acid
Style: Alternative Rock
Released: 2012
Label: none
From: Germany
Facebook: www.facebook.com/coldacidmusic
Web: www.coldacid.com

50s/60s rock'n'roll meets Foo Fighters and DAD – that's how I would describe Berlin newcomers Cold Acid after listening to their debut “Cold Kids Don't Need Acid” for the first time. That's supposed to sound good. And I'll say one thing straight away – it does.

There's nothing bad to say about the LP in terms of production. A little garage band sound here, a bit typical 70s rock production there and I don't have the slightest reason for criticizing anything. That's leading me to focus on the songs in detail.

I Got You” starts with the chorus and stuns me right away. The driving rhythm and just mentioned chorus lead to this song being a real catchy tune. First song, first hit song – that's what I call a good start. And it doesn't stop with “Can't Make It Up”. There couldn't be more rock'n'roll in this song: the song's length of 2:30 minutes, the riffs, and the subtle DAD influence are the main reasons for that. This beginning is already worth the money for the whole album.

And it just doesn't stop. I feel as if Cold Acid want to devastate my room with their first three songs. Although I do have some time to catch some breath due to the more tranquil and groovy verse of “36 Hours”, I can't do so for long as the parts following the second verse are filled with brilliant rock riffs and an awesome old school rock solo. The chorus gets stuck in my head for weeks especially as I need to listen to this song every day. Finally, the band gives me a break from all the rock'n'roll dancing that I just had to perform during the first three songs and offers me “Story to Pretend”. The song somehow reminds me of Foo Fighters' “White Limo” which is especially the case as the vocals are produced in a similar way. It doesn't have the same potential as FF's track but it still gives the album a little bit of a change.

And back to the roots with “Nothing Left” and its pretty groovy verse. Unfortunately, the chorus doesn't have as much power as what I would have liked it to have; however, nobody should skip this song. The same is definitely true for “City Breakdown”, which, in my opinion, is the coolest song on “Cold Kids Don't Need Acid”. I'm absolutely impressed by the bass intro, the groove which gives me no other option than dancing to it, and the classical rock song structure. It's a shame that the track doesn't last for 45 minutes (maybe you could think about a live version of that length, guys – at least 20 minutes would be cool). It doesn't matter which songs you did listen to on this record as long as you listened to “City Breakdown” (although you absolutely should listen to the other songs as well)!

Dead City Walk” doesn't impress me as much as the previous songs. Although the track's got an awesome solo again and I can sing along to the chorus, it misses something special. The tranquil intro to “Another Place” is exactly what I mean there. I like this track because of its off beat verse which makes it sound a little like something I would call reggae rock. This is definitely a nice experiment and a successful one as well.

Thief!” again stuns me completely. To me, this is the best song with “City Breakdown”, although it is really hard (one or two exceptions excluded) to name one which I wouldn't love to write down as a recommendation to listen to. But this songs' guitar play is brilliant, the chorus sticks again (not at last due to the lead melody of the guitar) and there's no lack of surprises (with surprises I mean the little break and the following solo). “Thief!” has got everything I would need for a great rock song: a little surprise, cool riffs and groove. “I've Told You” starts a little bit more tranquil again. The vocals somehow remind me of Metallica's “Low Man's Lyric” and although it's going to bore you by now: that solo is amazing!

The album's last track is “Can't Save My Soul” which again surprises me. Why does it surprise me? Well, it's acoustic! I can hear a little Cash influence which makes the 50s/60s sound come alive. The second surprise is only available for owners (woohoo!) of the physical data medium (yes, I'm talking of CD's). Let me put it that way: It's worthwhile waiting after the song's ending.

“Cold Kids Don't Need Acid” is a brilliant first record of an interesting band that definitely deserves to play bigger stages. To everyone who reads this: There's a link to their facebook page in the info section above. You will find some of my recommended songs on there. And to Cold Acid: perfect work, keep it coming!

Listen to: „I Got You“, „36 Hours“, „City Breakdown“, „Thief!“, „Can't Save My Soul“

8 out of 10 points

Tracklist:
1. I Got You
2. Can't Make It Up
3. 36 Hours
4. Story to Pretend
5. Nothing Left
6. City Breakdown
7. Dead City Walk
8. Another Place
9. Thief!
10. I've Told You
11. Can't Save My Soul

Members:
Vocals, Guitar: Daniel Prenzlow
Bass, Backings: Christopher Koch
Drums, Backings: Eric Köckeritz

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen