Dienstag, 7. Mai 2013

Review: Incus - Lifelike



Info
Name: Incus
Album: Lifelike (EP)
Style: Rock
Released: 2013
Label: none
From: Germany
Facebook: www.facebook.com/incusband
Website: www.incus-band.de/

When Million Sleep impressively made clear that we can expect good German newcomers, who deserve to get a review on New Rock Reviews this year. Now, German band Incus wrote us a mail to ask us for a review about their first EP “Lifelike” and, of course, we couldn't deny our interest.

I don't have to wait long for the record's beginning as “Carry Me Away” starts right away with the chorus. I like the progressive twist, the tranquil and slightly dark verse and (for all the Velvet Underground fans amongst us) the slightly atonal singing during the chorus. This song is a great opener and, coming after that, “Colours” immediately holds the position as my favourite track on the EP. The songs starts with a slightly darker intro and reminds me (especially because of the vocals) of Lostprophets' first album during verse and chorus. The great time change after the first chorus and a slide solo that really surprises me in this moment, make that song absolutely worth the money. Great song. Full stop.

From Scratch” is again a darker track. I like the balladic verse and can't help but think about early Lostprophets during the chorus again. Still, this track is another good song. “The Equation” confirms my opinion of this EP having a slightly darker atmosphere. Especially the tranquil verse, the screams during the centre part of the song, and the little breakdown, which reminds me of Canadian progressive metal band Protest the Hero, make that clear. Incus definitely convince me with their creative songwriting and “The Equation” definitely is another song that I can only recommend.

Blind Spot” makes me forget about Lostprophets' first album. However, this time I can hear a slight System of a Down influence (especially because of the vocals during the chorus). The track ends with a rock breakdown and, again, I'm not disappointed. Unfortunately, “Masquerades” already is the last song on the record. And nobody could not like the cool rock riff during the intro that repeats itself now and then during the song. The hard rock sound, screams, and a breakdown that some metalcore bands couldn't have composed in a better way, make this song another recommendation on my list.

With great bass lines without exceptions, very good and creative songwriting, good production (especially for fans who like it old school), and a little time to get used to the sound, Incus can definitely convince me. If you asked me for a recommendation, “Lifelike” is definitely worth the money and achieves very good 7.5 points for a debut!

Listen to: „Colours“, „The Equation“, „Masquerades“ (!)

7.5 out of 10 points

Tracklist
1. Carry Me Away
2. Colours
3. From Scratch
4. The Equation
5. Blind Spot
6. Masquerades

Members:
Vocals, Bass: Johannes Möllers
Guitar: Josa Wollheim
Drums, Vocals: Cornelius Laube

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen